Blog | Viewsbank

Blog

user picture
Theatre or Cinema?

6 years ago by James_Admin

Theatre or Cinema?

It's Friday night. You're out of work, looking for a relaxing night with your significant other. Where do you go?

According to votes on a poll last week submitted by Manseydoll the answer to that question is not necessarily obvious. While the cinema remains a viable options for many looking to spend a fun evening, a slight majority of respondents (52 percent) actually prefer going to the theatre with all conditions being equal and money not being an issue.

There are a number of reasons for this surprising result. One, our poll was taken after a disappointing summer at the movies, where American blockbusters like Hercules and The Maze Runner tanked while their domestic counterparts like Grace of Monaco didn't fare much better. Fatigue with the ever-growing number of superhero, science fiction and teen flick themes may have pushed a growing audience to the theatre.

There is also the difference in culture between the two options. Movies are often seen as a low-culture option, a date venue for teenagers rather than an exciting evening for professionals looking to relax. Theatre, on the other hand, brings with it something you can tell your co-workers about on Monday.

That's especially the case considering some of cinema's greatest stars, ranging from Sir Ian McKellen to Elijah Wood, continue to dabble in stage acting. The man behind Gandalf certainly seems a lot more approachable and human on stage than he does on the big screen.

Whatever the reason, our poll shows that reports of theatre's demise are greatly exaggerated. It remains a viable option for England's public, and as such will remain an important consideration for anyone looking for a fun evening.

Let us know what you think! 
-Rob

user picture
Should inhaler prescriptions be free?

6 years ago by James_Admin

Should inhaler prescriptions be free?

Inhalers are a vital part of everyday life for millions of people suffering from Asthma worldwide. Yet, with the prices for prescriptions in England increasing this year

According to our most recent poll results thanks to Nicola1's submitted poll, the answer is a clear 'yes.' In fact, no less than 88 percent of respondents believe that inhalers should not cost anything for those suffering from asthma., these important medical tools are becoming less and less affordable. Should those suffering from asthma receive free prescriptions?

It's a reasonable request, but one that may be more difficult to realize than most consumers think. An estimated 300 million people worldwide suffer from asthma, with over 5 million of them living in England alone. Asthma inhalers can go for as much as 150 pounds, suggesting a loss of 750 million pounds if they were to become free. That's a significant loss for the inhaler industry.
Nonetheless, one cannot help but notice the human element of the problem. Of the 5 million people suffering from asthma in England, how many can realistically afford a regular new inhaler? And if they cannot afford it, what are the consequences? Asthma UK, the leading charity of the field in England, suggests that a person dies from an asthma attack every 10 seconds.
While making inhaler prescriptions free for those suffering from asthma would not completely eradicate that problem, it could significantly lessen the danger that millions of Englanders live with every single day. The price of insurance may rise slightly, as the industry would have to account for a loss of profits. But our poll result indicate clearly that for the majority of respondents, that would be a price worth paying.

Let us know what you think? Should it just stop there?
-Rob

Premium rate numbers are the biggest call centre hang-up

·         Nearly six out of 10 customers always look for alternative numbers

·         Average longest call centre wait on hold is 28 minutes

Nearly six out of 10 customers always look for alternatives to premium rate phone numbers for call centres, a survey of ours tells us!

Research found premium rate numbers are the biggest hang-up for customers phoning call centres ahead of being put on hold or passed from department to department. Around 33% say they object to premium rate numbers ahead of 24% who hate being put on hold the most and 10% who dislike being passed from department to department.

 

Since June airlines, train companies and some retailers have been banned from using premium rate numbers and the Financial Conduct Authority is currently investigating their use by financial firms.

 

The Viewsbank research shows customers are fighting back against the costs of calling the numbers including 0845, 0844, 0843, 0870 and 0871 which can be as much as 15p a minute from a landline or 41p a minute from a mobile.

 

Around 58% of those surveyed say they always look for alternatives before dialling premium rate numbers while 31% say they sometimes do.

It is easy to see why – the average longest wait customers have endured on hold to call centres is 28.7 minutes. Around 30% of customers say their record on hold wait is more than 31 minutes.

David Black of Viewsbank said: “Dealing with call centres can be frustrating but it is clear that the cost of phoning is the biggest cause of anger. When people are trying to sort out a problem the fact they are paying more than usual adds to the annoyance.

“Customers however have woken up to the fact that using a premium rate number will cost them substantially more than usual and are looking for alternatives when they can.

“Companies will of course argue that they offer a range of ways of getting in contact but many do prefer making phone calls and speaking to an individual.”

 

MOST ANNOYING
CALL CENTRE ISSUE

PERCENTAGE OF
 CUSTOMERS

Premium rate calling charges

33%

Being put on hold

24%

Call centre not in the UK

15%

Being passed from department to department

10%

Having to press numbers to get through

9%

Music

4%

Being cut off

4%

 

Companies advertising they only use UK call centres benefit – 90% of those questioned say they would be more likely to call UK-based call centres.

The research found just 14% of people do not receive cold calls and that 49% say they still get them despite being registered with the Telephone Preference Centre.

What are your thoughts on it all? 
-Rob

user picture
Christmas: Home or Away?

6 years ago by James_Admin

Christmas: Home or Away?

Christmas is always an interesting topic and everyone has their own views on what works better for them. We recently discovered some thought-provoking facts on the topic of saving money at Christmas thanks to Melody835 and her question to the Viewsbank community on whether it was cheaper to stay at home, or go to an inexpensive travel destination. 

It is an interesting question really, as straight away, most people probably assume staying home is the cheaper option. In fact our poll showed that 75% of people feel they save money staying at home, whilst the remaining 25% thought that going abroad to a cheap travel destination would save them money.

You may be wondering where this 25% is traveling exactly, to save money at Christmas, however when you start adding it all up, well they may be on to something.

This is especially true if you host family and friends, even more so if these family and friends stay at your home for an extended period of time. Think about the meals that are cooked, the gifts that are bought, the decorations that are hung, and the liquids that may be drunk.  All this can add up pretty quickly, especially on top of extra electricity and water costs.

If you just decided to go away for Christmas, in place of hosting and purchasing presents, you may well be able to save money. This would be more so, if you were purchasing an all inclusive package at a cheaper destination.

It is surely food for thought, especially if the stress of Christmas tends to get to you, and you love to travel. For now though 75% of those polled will stay home and enjoy their Christmas celebrations with family and friends, in the comfort of their own space.
We can't wait!

-Rob

 

Latest Research Says People Would Rather Be Smart than Rich

So here's a fun one! 
One of the best ways to start a friendly debate is to ask a group of people whether they'd rather be super intelligent or super rich. And that's what manseydoll did!
Poll votes within our community reveals that 66 percent of our members would rather be super intelligent than rich, leaving 34 percent who would prefer the money.

The reasons for people's preferences boil down to a couple of lines of thought. Those in favor of intelligence say that they'd find it much easier to become wealthy if they had more brain power, so they wouldn't need to have the money handed to them. They also note that with more brain power, they'd be able to handle other aspects of their lives much better as well.

People in favor of becoming super rich, on the other hand, argue that they wouldn't need to be super intelligent if they had a vault full of cash. If they encountered a problem that required high intelligence, they could just use their money to hire the right advisers to handle it. Of course, all of their financial needs would be covered, too.

While those in each camp tend to believe that their reasoning is cut-and-dried, there is some truth to each line of thinking. It's nice to understand everything possible, having a bunch of money instead will usually work out fine in a modern society. The extensive provisions of such a society make the answer to this question mostly one of personal preference.
We have to say, we agree with the 64% who would rather be smart but 
it’s better to be smart, motivated and rich! ;-)

Is it Too Early for Radio Stations to Play Christmas Music?

Christmas is still months away, with both Halloween and Bonfire night in line prior to it. Even so, some radio stations and TV channels have already begun to play Christmas songs! Thanks to a submission by Chelcjay, our most recent community poll shows that a full 89 percent of respondents think it is too early to start the Christmas celebration.

For many years, there has been a solid trend of pushing up the start of the Christmas season. At first, this was most obvious in stores, where impatient retailers hoped to gain a burst in sales prior to the traditional shopping window. This desire is reasonable; some stores have over 25 percent of their yearly sales happen within the month of December. Who wouldn't want to extend that sales spike a few more months?

Unfortunately, retailers' desire has little to do with consumer demand. Therefore, the end result is that consumers just get tired of the obviously-forced excitement sooner than they otherwise would have, while sales patterns remain about the same. It also creates a feeling of being hurried along for no good reason.

Alas, the trend is so entrenched now that even outlets that have nothing to gain from advancing the Christmas season are jumping on the bandwagon. As reported, some radio stations were already playing carols in September. I bet a few people have put up a few strands of Christmas lights already, too!

Let us know what you think!
-Rob

New Drivers License Plan Sees Overwhelming Approval!


With a focus on fiscal responsibility, the government has seen fit to change the way driving licenses work over the next four years. The change addresses the two types of license and identification a driver receives, the photo ID and the license itself, by eliminating the license portion.

Instead, drivers will receive just the photo card, with all information previously held on the license document being stored on the internet for easy access by authorities. This move also eliminates the need for drivers to provide proof of insurance when they renew their tax disc at the post office, as that information also will be held on the internet.

When asked how Viewsbankers felt about this move, respondents were quite clear. 93% gave a thumbs up, indicating they support this move, while the other 7% gave it a thumbs down. This means the move comes with extremely wide support, even on top of it's money saving potential and the elimination of a huge bureaucratic overhead. Thanks to Sagitarrian03 for the poll idea - She wins £5!

 

 

 

 

79% of Viewsbankers won't be upgrading to the iPhone 6!

With the newest iPhone 6 finally making its appearance on the market, many people are looking at their old phones and deciding whether it is worth upgrading or not.

We took a community poll submitted by jsmith1234 and found that the majority of people actually aren't looking to upgrade to the iPhone 6. In fact our poll showed that only 21% of those that participated in the poll were going to purchase or upgrade to an iPhone 6 and the other 79% seemed happy enough with their current phones.
 

There are many advantages those in the technology community tout for purchasing the new iPhone. Let’s take a look at some of those advantages:

  • Bigger Screen - When you look at the iPhone 6 you may be worried that we are headed back to the age of brick phones. This new model is significantly larger, 38% larger to be exact, than older models and now has a screen that rivals the size of many androids.
  • Gaming Greatness - If you like to game on your phone then the new iPhone offers a processor that is 25% faster than their previous phone, pair this with a much faster graphic chip and the iPhone 6 has become the best gaming phone on the market.
  • Fitness Tracker - If you head out for a walk weighed down by phones, fitness trackers and other devices, the iPhone 6 can help lighten the load. Its ability to track elevation, distance and steps can make any other fitness tracker obsolete.
  • Charging Time - If you find your current phone is constantly dying on you then this may be enough reason to purchase the new iPhone, with its ability to go 48 hours straight without needing a charge, the new iPhone is miles above the previous models when it comes to battery life.
     

So with these four great reasons to purchase an iPhone 6, why did a large percentage of those surveyed say they won't be purchasing one?
It could be the fact that the phone is becoming more like that 80's brick, and holding the phone in your hand, is no longer that easy. In addition the versions prior to the 6 were in no way "bad phones", in fact the 5s is a great phone and suits a large percentage of the majorities needs. The fact is by upgrading to iOS 8 it is actually possible to tap in to a lot of the positives of the iPhone 6, without having to purchase the new phone. And with recent developments with Android phones such as Google's Nexus and Samsung's Galaxy series, you can find even more top of the range technology and customisation at your fingertips for a much cheaper pice.

As usual, let us know what you think!
-Rob

user picture
104 Days until Christmas! . .

6 years ago by James_Admin

104 Days until Christmas! . .

It is only 104 days till Christmas, and while some may feel that this gives them plenty of time to prepare, others are already on top of their Christmas lists for 2014. Our poll results courtesy of Bri's submission showed that their is not a whole lot of difference. We asked Viewsbankers if they had started their Christmas shopping yet 42% said yes, while 58% said no.

Many early Christmas shoppers start very early in the year and buy as things go on sale. The belief is if they buy products on sale they don't have to worry about spending a big chunk when it gets to November and December. Some shoppers are just extremely organised and have a set budget plan that they follow throughout the year. Some even shop for the following Christmas the day after Christmas has passed.

Those that enjoy early Christmas shopping enjoy a few of these benefits.

  • Following a budget.
  • Saving money on big ticket items.
  • Not being deterred by slow shipping methods.
  • Being able to be present and enjoy the Christmas season, instead of battling the crowds.
  • Having bragging rights on the fact that they are extremely organised.

For those of us who choose to leave our Christmas shopping till later in the year, we may be missing out on saving money, however those that leave their Christmas shopping till later, may enjoy the crowds and the feeling the season brings. They may also wonder how those that shop early, know what to get their gift recipients, some of us don't even know what we are going to wear today, let alone what we want for Christmas, in January.

No matter which way you lean when it comes to Christmas shopping, one thing is certain, giving a gift is often a gift in itself.

We want to know if you are an early Christmas shopper, or if you are a Christmas Eve rush specialist, share your thoughts on the subject by leaving a comment!

A surprising number of you are optimistic! (Which makes us pessimistic to not think that way!)

In a recent poll submitted by Bri, Viewsbankers were asked: Do you consider yourself a pessimist or an optimist? Do you continually think things are going to go wrong or do you always find the best in everything?

The good news – optimistic? – is that 70% consider themselves optimists; the pessimistic outcome is the other 30%.
That may have been behind Winston Churchill’s line, “A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” In the midst of World War II, hiding in the tube from bombings, we had to keep our spirits up. If we survived that night, we will survive the next, and will prevail in the war. That happened. But in more recent times, with the economic depression and conflicts around the world, most people would argue that we're a sad bunch.
Do these poll results mean we have grown out of our pessimism and changed our perspective then? How one defines optimism and pessimism can play a role. Is a mix of optimism and pessimism healthy? Is viewing through a “guarded lens” being realistic and optimistic?
Let’s take the word “can’t”, suggests David of London English School on the web site, Learn English. The word connotes negativity, therefore, pessimism, right? He then provides a test. Take these four sentences:
  1.  I can’t wait to see you.
  2.  can’t believe your house is so big.
  3. can’t tell you how amazing she is.
  4. can’t thank you enough for helping me move into my house.
Match the can’t expressions above with their meanings below (answer at the bottom but don't cheat!):
  • A) It’s surprising/extraordinary
  • B) Words are not enough to express the idea
  • C) Thank you very, very, very much!
  • D) I’m very excited about it.
If you got all correct, then you realised each statement is optimistic. Maybe, the poll just shows we’re changing our can’t attitude. 
Let us know what you think!

1 = D
2 = B
3 = C
4 = A